Monday, September 10, 2012

Hi family,
I thought I would report on what we did last week. Sunday a week ago, we left for Idaho early in the morning. We drove to Shelley, Idaho and went to church with Freddy Bunce and his family. Then we had dinner with them. Here is a photo of Freddy and his family in front of their home:

For those who don't know the connection, Freddy is Aunt Betty's grandson--the son of Michael Bunce.  He would be a second cousin to our grandchilden.  They are a very fun family.  We then drove on to Betty and Art's for a couple of nights.  Art is holding in there.  Each time we visit, he is able to do less than he could on the last visit.  Grandpa talked him into driving the golf cart while we played nine holes at the Challis golf course. He liked doing that, but he can't play golf any more.  It was very smokey in Challis because of a big forest fire around Salmon.  The air was clear in the early morning, but was horrible by the afternoon. 

From Challis, we drove to Bend, Oregon and then to the Sunriver Resort.  We met 6 other couples--all friends we knew in Junior High and High School in Ashland, Oregon.  Each morning the men played golf at some nearby golf course.  The prettiest is called Crooked River golf course and is very beautiful.  One day I went with them and took along a friend.  She doesn't golf, but she drove the cart for me.  I'm not a great or even good golfer, but I made a spectacular par of one hole.  The first ball went far to the right when it should have gone straight down the fareway.  The next ball (hit from beneath a tree), hit the golf car trail (which is asphalt) not far from me, but bounced high in the air and landed on the side of the hill going up to the green.  I "chipped" up on the green and the ball went flying in the air.  I yellled "too hard!"  But the ball landed squarely on the green and rolled into the cup.  No one was more surprised than I.

After we played golf that day, my friend Carol, her husband Bob Delsman, Garold and I drove into Bend and ate at the Pine Tavern.  This is actually a nice restaurant with a good sized bar.  We ate out on the terrace overlooking the river.  It was wonderful.  After we ate, we walked around the park along the river.  Beautiful homes are all along the shores.  I've added a picture of us below.

I really have enjoyed my new Kindle.  I've read several mysteries by Josephine Tey.  They are very good.  The best one in my opinion is not available on Kindle.  It is Brat Farrer.  But they are all good.  I read a new novel--actually a kind of autobiography by Carolyn Jourdan titled "Heart in the Right Place."  It is about a woman who goes back to her hometown in Tennessee for a few days to help her father who is a country doctor.  The very best book I have read was published in 1943.  I don't know why I have never read it before.  It is titled "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith.  It was a big hit when it came out and a movie was made based on the story.  I never saw the movie either.  Both the Jourdan and the Smith books are loanable if any of you who own a Kindle are interessted. 

Well, that's my report, What have you been doing lately?  Love you all, Grandma
 
 

 

 

 

 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. It's good to see a picture of Fred and his family. That was really nice of you to look them up and visit. Idaho burns more every summer. I wonder that there is anything left up there.

    Shout out to Erik and Sarah. How was your trip to Orcas?

    ReplyDelete