Wednesday, September 19, 2012

news from the north

We are glad to hear that most of ypu are golng to be commlng up next summer! It should be a lot of fun. I dont think we have heard from Lori, Eric, and Bill. Gay is looking forward to getting some good pictures of Caitlin. So our big news is that we were selected to help the Fish and Wildife Service and National Marine Fisheries Service review a proposed hydroelectric dam on the Susitna River. So we are the ones helping to determine the impact to salmon from the largest dam to be built in the last 50years! Amzing what youcan do from your cabin in the woods these days.

Gays sister Lin and her husband are in Lesotho in South Africa working for the Peace Corps so we are hoping to get over there next year.

Well thats all for now.

Jeff and Gay


5 comments:

  1. Sorry; I responded to one of Mom and Dad’s emails (the one offering money) and not to yours. For sure, Fiona and I are coming. Nora has told me she is coming, too, but she is also talking about study abroad in London or Australia… so I am leaving her as a "maybe." I have invited Tom to come, too.

    I remember when you were looking for slogans about the Susitna River. I thought my “Wake Up, Little Susi!” bumper stickers would be all over Alaska by now. Or maybe we could try “Damn the Dam, Susi!” Or “No Dam, Madam!” but that one only works if your governor is a woman. I don’t know, maybe if we build a hotbed of rebellion in your log cabin, it will hurt your chances to get contracts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to come, but not sure how many others will be coming from my family. Hopefully everyone (but Henry, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your appointment to review the dam on the Susitna. We hope you can make a sufficient impact on the final decision. Are you still coming our way in October?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at the news from Talkeetna this morning and hoping the flood waters are going down. Have you pulled all you lab equipment upstairs? Are the banks holding out by the cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope that Annika, Mia and I can come to Alaska too. We are working on it. Also, we are planning to come to Utah for Thanksgiving, for sure!

    ReplyDelete